Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Sample Poems from EMLR#22

pre-socratic

how you tame a lion is with a chair
and whip, but with a man it's best to grab
a bible and beat him over the head
with it singing god and country
and man oh my... praise be to america's wet-nurses
vibratingbedsalesmen mudbug-
harvesters undertakers failed honkytonk
coverbands anyone who's anyone
whose half-a-mind believes
in the voice of a mob
and the pursuit of life liberty and
that which is wholly
purchasable with a preferred line of credit
at jose's flower boutique & whackshack
back behind that truckstop
off yeehaw junction where the nuns all disguise
themselves as french-
tickler dispensers
and the feeling one gets
having been raised irish-catholic
when your final thought
always involves a line of priests
jockeying for hand-me-downs
outside the xxx goat-foot-emporium and how
did you say
philosophy was
born?

by M.P. Powers




Little Bo Peep Show

He doesn't really fuck sheep.
I'm relieved to know.
I try to protect my woolly friends
from horny bullies bored
with cows and goats.

I don't know why I show and tell
so goddamn freely.
What am I trying to prove
with my lovesick sex starved diatribes
and hot-n-bothered Madonna wannabe
photographs reeking of low self-esteem?

I've lost my goddess self and don't
know where to find her.
I'm thick with not knowing these days.
I do know how to find my clitoris in a snowstorm.
I do know flow, flow like the Brazos.
This will get me over the next hill
but won't protect me
from what
I find there.

by Misti Rainwater-Lites

No comments:

Post a Comment